WHO is leading a global campaign on depression for World Health Day 2017, celebrated today. Its goal is to enable more people with mental disorders to live healthy, productive lives.
- Depression is a common mental disorder. Globally, more than 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression.
- Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide, and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease.
- More women are affected by depression than men.
- At its worst, depression can lead to suicide.
- There are effective treatments for depression.